Musical Musings: Standon Calling

Leave a Comment
After falling in love with festivals last summer when I went to Glastonbury I was determined to get myself to another one this year, and since I live in London now Standon Calling seemed like the perfect one! Excitingly the line up has now been released so I decided to make a playlist filled with everyone, from the headliners to the smaller acts to prepare myself for the weekend.
The acts are definitely varied but overall I think most of them will sound fantastic on festival stages in the summer. Being a self confessed indie kid the bands I've found myself most drawn to are those that lie on the indie/rock spectrum.

The Amazons are a rock band from Reading that are getting quite a bit of attention for their latest single Stay With Me at the moment which is a great song. It's their 2015 single Ultraviolet that's got me very excited to catch them though. Their songs are the kind that have choruses you can't help but sing along to and I have a feeling they'll have a great on stage energy. Millions (The Party) and Something In The Water are also fantastic songs. (As a side note I love their video for Ultraviolet - I think anyone else that's also ever had an epic sing/dance along to a song in their bedroom will agree.)
I hadn't heard of Blossoms before compiling my playlist but despite only forming in 2013 have a polished finish to their music and a large following, Described as indie-pop their music has this funky edge to it with with electronic elements which separate them from your usual indie offering. Their 2016 EP At Most A Kiss is a perfect summer album with each song offering something different. If you're only going to listen to a few tracks make it Charlemagne, Wretched Fate and Fourteen (which has this almost retro feel to it.)
Another notable mention have to be Flyte which seem to musically epitomise "summer vibes" and will be perfect watching in the sun with a cider in hand. Another band with a more poppy edge to it my favourite single has to be Light Me Up which is incredibly catchy and positive feeling. In fact almost all their songs have up beat melodys to them which is probably what makes them feel so perfect for summer. Be sure to listen to Closer Together and Please Elouise as well as Light Me Up to get a flavour for these guys.
There's loads of other bands I can't wait to catch like Swim Deep, Everything Everything, Rationale and Clean Cut Kid (I could go on but I'd just end up listing pretty much the entire line up). Watching bands live is genuinely one of my favourite things so I'm sure come August 1st I'll be back here raving about my highlights so be sure to check back.
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig