Skincare Haul

Leave a Comment

Before I went to China I made a much needed trip to Boots - why is it everything always runs out at once? I also feel that as soon as one product hits the bottom of your basket it's like a floodgate opening and suddenly you can't stop adding more, or maybe this is just me describing a shopping addiction?
My first stop was by the Una Brennan stand, I've already previously tried their mask and scrub designed for blemishes so was interested to expand my range. First off I needed something to remove makeup with which could also function as a light morning cleanse, I obviously reached for an oil. This Vitamin C+ Cleansing Oil is beautiful, it smells of oranges which makes removing makeup a much nicer experience then it really is. My one gripe is the dispenser which you just have to tip into your hand, it makes it quite hard to get the right amount out and I think I'd definitely prefer there being a pump. However when it comes to functionality I can't fault it, this removed makeup (even waterproof eye makeup) with no hassle and leaves the skin feeling extremely fresh.

I also desperately needed a night cream; I wanted something that wouldn't be too thick on my skin as I feel like these can be too rich and do more harm then good. However I don't want to compromise on hydration so obviously I was drawn to the Rose Hydrate Peaceful Skin Night Cream. Despite being a night cream this feels nice and light on the skin but contains the hyaluronic acid that is a dream when it comes to moisture. Apparently this also helps with the first signs of ageing, but being only 22 I can't vouch if it's making a difference for my wrinkles just yet.
My final Una Brennan purchase was a return to their Blemish range - the Salicylic Acid Purifying Cleanser. I picked this up as a second cleanser this my skin's been feeling slightly congested lately and I've been suffering from small pimples. It's a gel cleanser, and to be honest I'm pretty on the fence about it. I feel like it's quite hard to get this to foam up and really get to work on the skin, rather it seems to just disappear when I start working it in and so doesn't really feel like it does much in terms of detoxifying the skin. However I'm going to persevere and see what progress my skin makes in terms of blemishes since these kind of things don't work overnight and need time to assess.
With a two week journey that involved two long haul flights and lots of travelling around ahead of me I thought investing in some cleansing wipes to remove my makeup would be an easier option then my usual cleansing routine. Now cleansing wipes aren't the most popular skincare product around and I can't claim to be their biggest fan so I decided to try out the Yes To Carrots Nourishing Wipes since the brand has a good reputation on the internet. But I can't say I was particularly impressed. Though these were meant to be gentle I genuinely felt like they made the skin around my eyes burn and they didn't feel moist (sorry to anyone who hates that word!) to be nourishing to the skin. I needed at least two of these to remove my makeup and even then I still would wake up with panda eyes - I wouldn't recommend. It may be more hassle but I genuinely feel a good cleanser to a worthwhile product to take travelling.
 And who can step into Boots without buying at least one beauty bit? Certainly not me! With most of my mascaras drying out I wanted to grab something cheap and cheerful and Maybelline are usually  a safe bet when it comes to mascara, plus it was buy one get one half price, classic Boots enabling. I picked up the Lash Sensational in waterproof (mainly because it was only available in waterproof not for any real desire) and the Rocket Volume Express.
Both mascaras have plastic wands which I personally prefer with Lash Sensational having long bristles and a curved scooping brush, while Rocket Volume has a chunky wand covered in small bristles. Rocket Volume does what it says on the tin really and delivers fantastic volume to the lashes, personally I like that almost clumpy lash look, especially on an evening eye so I love the effect.
I actually wasn't that keen on Lash Sensational when I first tried it but it's grown on me, I think the issue was this takes a bit of time to really get the benefits from. This lengthens and separates the lashes and the best way to get this affect is to aim the curve of the wand so the long bristles are the ones gripping your lashes when you apply. Another positive I've noticed is that I'm not suffering from any drop down I usually get from mascaras when I apply them to the bottom lashes, maybe it's a benefit of the waterproof formula? Something to bear in mind if you suffer the same issue!
So in terms of successes my haul was a bit of a mixed bag - the stand out products for me are definitely the facial oil, moisturiser and Lash Sensational mascara. However I can't say I'm blown away by my other skincare purchases, but when it comes to skincare it's all trial and error, you're never going to love everything you try.

Have you tried any of these before? I'd love to hear any Boots skincare recommendations, especially a good second step cleanser or exfoliating toner (which I have now run out of, Boots, I'm coming for you.)

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig